Back to Top
National Get Organized Week, Day Five: Guest Room Solutions
October 10, 2013
Getting Ready for Guests
Pretend you are a guest in your own house and look at the guest room with new eyes. What is missing? Whether it’s proper bedding, reading light or adequate toiletries, let’s get to work with some guest room ideas that will make it a very welcoming place.
What you need:
1. Dusting cloth, furniture polish, cleaning spray
2. Fresh linens: towels, sheets, pillowcases
3. Toiletries: soap, shampoo, lotion
4. Water carafe
Estimated work time: 1 hour
What to do:
- 1. Make sure at least one drawer or shelf is empty for your guest’s use.
- 2. If possible, create a place for luggage. An ottoman or trunk work nicely.
- 3. Stock the bathroom with a fresh bar of soap, two towels (hand and bath), and shampoo. Or place everything in a pretty basket on the bed.
- 4. Are the sheets fresh? Furniture dusted? Windows washed? A water bottle or a water decanter near the bed is a thoughtful touch.
- 5. Keep the pets out after cleaning to reduce dust and allergens.
- For more expert tips on getting ready for guests see “How to Make a Luxury Guest Room” by New York Times bestselling author and expert organizer Regina Leeds.
- See our tip from Day Four–clean your home office desk
- See our tip from Day Three–organizing garage tools
- See our tip from Day Two: taking care of your shoes
- See our tip from Day One: organizing one pantry shelf
- Like us on Facebook to get daily tips