Back to Top
National Get Organized Week, Day Six: How to Fold a Fitted Sheet
Friday, October 11
Folding Fitted Sheets
One of the biggest challenges in good linen closet storage is folding a fitted sheet. Why? Because of their elasticized corners, fitted sheets are not perfect squares and do not lie flat.
The good news is that there is an easy way to fold fitted sheets so that they look exactly like folded flat sheets. Spend about 30 minutes learning and practicing this technique. The payoff: Your linen closet will hold a lot more folded sheets and look great, too.
What you need:
1. Fitted sheets for practice
Estimated work time: 30 minutes
What to do:
- 1. Lay sheet on a flat surface and fold long edges together.
- 2. Matching the seams, align the elasticized corners (or “pockets”) up against each other on one side, then repeat on the other side.
- 3. Fold sheet in half, then layer all four pockets together so that they are nested within each other, all in the same direction.
- 4. Lay the sheet down with the fitted corners on the top right. Adjust sheet so that it makes an even rectangle.
- 5. Fold again, either in double or in thirds.
- Tip: If you have some extra time, go through all of your sheet sets and refold the fitted sheets. Make sure all sheet sets are stacked together for easy retrieval.
- See our tip from Day Five–getting ready for guests
- See our tip from Day Four–organize your home office desk
- See our tip from Day Three–organizing garage tools
- See our tip from Day Two: taking care of your shoes
- See our tip from Day One: organizing one pantry shelf
- Like us on Facebook to get daily tips